Monday, August 31, 2009

Myles De Ocampo

Myles is another key staff member in K.I.M. Officially she is the travel agent who oversees everyones coming in and out of the Philippines, which is no small number. If there is someone traveling somewhere in connection with K.I.M. she has either set it up or knows about it. She also acts as a host to short term teams who find their way into the madness of Manila. Her two children, Jam and Tina, are regular figures around the childrens home and school. K.I.M. would find it hard to function without her help.

Besides serving K.I.M. full-time she is a light in her community. She operates a children's ministry out of her home further into Manila. If weather permits, on a weekly basis children from the surrounding area gather for a time of games, food, and the Gospel. Our team enjoyed serving Myles with her ministry while all of us were here, and I have tried to fill in for them. During my last meeting with the Children we showed "The Chronicles of Narnia." With a projector, screen, soundsystem and movie borrowed from K.I.M. we all gathered around at 6pm Saturday night. The storm surrounding us added to the drama as we watched. The popcorn went quickly and most of it ended up on the floor. At first the children had a hard time getting into the movie, because it was in english. However, once the action began every one was wide-eyed and silent. After the movie Myles and I explained the connection to Jesus Christ and the Cross. I summarized and Myles translated, and added what was lacking. It was the first time most of those children have ever watched a movie on a projector like that, and in some cases the first movie ever seen.

Myles is an extrodinary woman who is doing great things for children, whether the kids of K.I.M. or the children of her community.

No comments:

Post a Comment