Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Meet the Girls.


Every morning the routine usually goes the same. Wake up. Wash my face. Yawn. Look at the clock. Wet my face again because by this time its hot. Listen to the commotion on the street outside. Walk to the kitchen for coffee. Then I meet smiling faces; "Maghanda Umaga ".

The Kitchen staff here at the YMC have been a true joy to meet every early morning. I have grown accustomed to waking up to a cup of coffee and the greeting "Maghanda Umaga" (Good morning). From sun up to sun down Ate La-ling, Ate Marilou, and Ate Lydia hold down the kitchen. They cook for everyone at the YMC, making sure that no one goes hungry. They make the YMC more of a home.

They are always caring and eager to serve. When I have been sick they have taken care of me; sometimes making remedies that I really wish they hadn't. I would sit as Ate La-ling served me Kalamansi Juice with mashed garlic. As I would choke down the garlic she would tease me, "what's wrong Joe? Are you home sick? Do you miss your mommy?" Then Ate Lydia would chime in, "No. He is love sick!"

The three Ladies are never without a smile. They have made the YMC feel like home for the last two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment