Monday, August 24, 2009

Meet Tatay Rollie

So here I am at the final lap. I thought it would be fitting to spend the last week of my time in Manila sharing with you the people I have come to know and love. So, for the remaining days I will take time to share with you several people with whom I have had the privilege to build relationships with.

Tatay Rollie

Part of the core that makes up the Filipino Staff of K.I.M. Manila. Rollie is the construction foreman, so he has been my boss for the last two months. He is a very pleasant guy, always laughing and smiling. At about 5'4" his stature is not very domineering, but he easily has the respect of all the workers and myself. This morning I sat with Rollie as we usually do. But today he shared with me the story of how his wife was cured from tumor on her ovary. As we sat it was clear how much he loved and adored his wife. From every detail I imagined, having never seen his wife, a petite Filipina who is quiet and always with a smile. With eyes watery and clasping his trembling fingers Rollie described the story and his wife to me. "She has been very good to me" he said, "even when I was crazy." I have yet to hear his testimony. He promises a great story, and always says we have to sit down and take some time because it is a long story. I look forward to hearing it before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment