Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hey Norconians, this is Aaron from the Philippines, it's 7:20 in the morning now and already shaping up to be a hot and humid masterpiece of a day. But really it has been amazing here. The trip so far has been such a blessing to me and has taught me so much about faith. First God helped me raise the funds just to get here which I thought wasn't going to happen towards the end of our preparations to leave, but of course God was faithful. Actually being in the Philippines has been an amazing experience, the far majority of the people here have nothing, Jesus is a common name here but their Catholicism is surrounded by superstition and mysticism, for all practical purposes religion in the Philippines is worthless and the missionaries really do have their work cut out for them, but the points of contacts are there to talk about the real Jesus and we have been doing that as much as we can. Every day their are two feedings, one at 10:00 AM and 4 Pm, teams going into the slums with food and medicine, because I am experienced in EMS, I occasionally get to care for the sick and wounded which is incredible and humbling as well as heartbreaking. Every night the "Man Team" does bible devotions with the older orphans at the children's home which is really cool, their are so many more female missionaries here that positive male remodels are actually quite rare so just being their for the boys has been a blessing for us and them. During the day after lunch we do bible devotions with the workers and that has been very cool, we have been talking about Grace, what that means and how that plays itself out in real Christian living. From 8 to 4 we do construction, the work is hard especially because of the high humidity but it is so worth it, knowing that long after Norco leaves the Philippines the buildings we are help building will be used to glorify God in the coming decades, wow what a blessing. Yesterday we we got an 800 pound cement mixer from the second story to ground level, I got lots of pictures and believe you me, it was epic. Today we are mixing cement and pouring the foundations for the different levels. It feels really good to work so hard for such an amazing cause. On a less serious note I have become the unintentional entertainment of the Philippines as bizarre and randomly hilarious things keep happening to me in the presence of the rest of the Norco guys or every one at K.I.M, fist I was pulled out of security at L.A.X, because they thought my brand of "Chrystal light" was some kind of explosive, (this happened about two minutes after saying to the team how I didn't want to be the first American to make a Jerk of himself. Then in the Philippines, at a mall on one of thus bungy jump trampoline things the power went out and I was left hanging 15 feet in the air while the Norco Guys and rich Philippinos laughed and pointed at me. When Pastor Jeff arrived both Norco teams were sitting around a table and my leg fell completely asleep and when I stood up to let the pastor get by me I fell spectacularly to the floor, and every night because I am so ticklish all the children attack me and me and tickle me until I'm almost crying. (Also many other things) Every night after the devotions Garret and I have been talking to the street guys and in order to gain their respect we ate Beluite (forgive the spelling) which is a boiled duck egg with a mostly completely formed duck chick inside, beak, feathers and all, needless to say it was a disgusting and interesting experience. I am looking forward to what will happen next, and what God will do. I hope every one in Norco and around the world is doing great. Stay intentional..............Aaron.

1 comment:

  1. Aaron. Thanks for your post and your honesty about all that is going on with you. I guess everything happens for a reason...I dont know how crystal light can be an explosive. haha. Anywho, I am encouraged at the good work you guys are doing over there. You are all in my prayers. We all here at Norco are looking forward to your arrival back with us. I hope that the Lord continues to bless your stay there!

    ReplyDelete