Tuesday, July 21, 2009

We work together, we read together, and we play together.


Another day with the boys. Today made me realize that I have become "one of the guys" with the Filipino workers here at the YunJin Ministry Center in Manila. Usually we start around 8am and go until 5pm working on the new addition to the YMC. Most of the men are skilled masons, carpenters, and electricians. And I, I just try not to get in the way and do what they ask me to. Over the last week I have had the oppourtunity to get to know these men. We laugh and joke to take our minds off of the task at hand, but are still serious about the job. We spend a lot of the day with each other. From 8-5 we work, taking few scheduled breaks between. After lunch we come together and go through scripture. They read the selected verses in Tagalog and I do my best to communicate how what they read is pointing to the source of eternal life. Today however, was a bit out of the ordinary. Today after 5 they asked me to join in on a pick up basketball game. So there we were after five, just hanging out and running around. They knew that just because I am tall does not mean I can play...so I did my best to compensate my lack of skill with size and wasn't too bad. There was no job, no duty, just good times. (excuse the poor picture quality; camera's broken).

No comments:

Post a Comment